Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
L-I'm a straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 52) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Self-Defense

There are bad people out there

Okay, so maybe Jesuits see God in all things, and God is good, so everything's good, and the bible is interpreted to mean everything further's God's purposes, including evil, but that doesn't mean we're supposed to lie down and take it, or follow Jesus' example, and get crucified or whatever for our original sin, and make criminals happy. God is a man of war, and if you want to be godly, you should know how to fight. I may be a pacifist, but I believe everyone should be capable of self-defense against any would-be aggressors.

Guns
I actually believe everyone should be armed, which would prevent criminals from having any advantage in a society that could easily potentially retaliate. I would limit armaments to handguns and not assault weapons, however, to emphasize the defensive aspect of all this. We call our military the Department of Defense, not Offense. I think society should be trained in the safe use of weapons, and there should be a prevalence of shooting ranges, for people to learn cleaning and safety and to hone their ability. Children should be inculcated with a respect for guns, and given a knowledge of gun safety and basics at a young age. I think gun-locks, such as the ring that only allows the owner to use his or her gun, should be used.
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2002infantry/small2.pdf

Martial Arts
People shouldn't feel empowered only through the potential for lethality, however. Arms don't only refer to guns, they refer to the things our hands are attached to. I believe everyone should be "armed" and dangerous. People should be as best prepared for any potential situation that they can be. The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared." I took classes in Aikido and Jujitsu, and learned just a little wrestling in high school. I'm on my God kick, but if you want to feel powerful, I recommend getting in shape as you learn how to defend yourself if you should ever find yourself in combat. The ultimate goal is never to put yourself in a dangerous situation, especially mortal combat, but eventualities can arise. Unfortunately, the world can be an uncertain place. You are not necessarily in control, all the time. You can't spend your life hiding under a rock. There are rapists and abductors and muggers and the occasional psycho/ serial killer. Martial arts prepare you to deal with these kinds of possibilities as best you can.

It can be a lifestyle, and a philosophy, as well. It's a way of healthy living, requiring you to keep fit, physically, while keeping mentally awake, and hopefully morally straight. It develops your kinesthetic, tactile and spatial abilities and intelligence. Fractions of seconds count in combat, and life itself, so martial arts hone your ability to anticipate, be aware, live in the moment, think and act quickly, and resolve situations clearly and in control. It develops tactical and safety awareness, as well as provides knowledge of the body. Even if you never have to use your knowledge, as personally I would hope you should, it pays to know self-defense.

No comments: