8 Nuggets from today's christian science monitor article.
1) T-shirt that proclaims: “My Savior Is Tougher Than Nails.”
2) Scripture is full of adversity. Even when the economy crumbles, God is in control. A triumph of God's sustaining spirit.
-There’s no ‘I told you so’ or ‘You’re getting what you deserve’ [from Old Testament prophets during tragedies]. God is with these people, God is aware of their plight, and God will see them through.”
3) Time to readjust focus.
-Courage; Be not afraid. “What I worry about most is that people who feel powerless … will find somebody else to blame,” All kinds of things happen from when you start to blame people..
-Repentance: “When deeds of iniquity overwhelm us, you forgive our transgressions.”
4) hundreds of archived sermons: http://www.workingpreacher.com/
5) crisis-induced window – maybe three or four months – when attentive people are ready to experience a life change, much as they were right after 9/11.
6) Pleas for church-money by preachers: "Don't put faith and church at bottom of your list. That is not faith. That is the empty religion of a fair-weather Christian who offers occasional lip service to a God who is brought in at convenient times.”
7) Isaiah on the costs of greed: “Many houses shall be desolate, large and beautiful houses, without inhabitant.”
8) Talking about mission focus and the true spiritual life as a life of humility or poverty – there’s more listening to that.
I left a comment that God wants the MDG's met, basic needs for all met, and -the most basic need and the purpose for money- love and happiness- for all, which does not necessarily entail living in large and expensive homes (as college dorms are fun, for example).
7 hours ago