Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
L-I'm a straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 52) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Make beer, not war

Make food, make love, make someone smile
Anything but war/death

I just saw No Country for Old Men, and I am certain that, despite the doctrine of the omnipresence of a benevelent God, evil exists. The murderous madness of evil, the banality of evil, even the calm, calculated, sane type of evil depicted in this movie all exist. Perhaps it is insane to say that God gave us a commandment that thou shalt not kill. In any case, we instinctively know that the powers that be like to enforce justice, if not karma, and so judge not lest ye be judged, or he who lives by the sword shall die by the sword, or the wages of sin is death, or only the good die young/if you can't beat 'em, join 'em... Well, whatever. There are a lot of concepts floating around, many if not all have competing perspectives, so choose thy operative adages wisely, such as "If you love someone, set them free." You might want to hold on tightly, and never let go. Dunno. Even I, God, am not that wise.

ANyway, as I was saying, make beer not war.

Here's the Wikipedia articles on Beer and Brewing.

Did you know there's a Beer crater on the moon, and a Beer, England?
Alcohol, I am told, merely amplifies innate tendencies. In vino, veritas. You might want to stay safe and sober. God says, "be safe" and "know when to say when." I rarely drink.

Also, completely unrelated, my wife just told me that dogs are not supposed to eat, in addition to chocolate, grapes, raisins, or wine.

Is beer good or bad for people? This is what Wikipedia says about the health effects:

The moderate consumption of alcohol, including beer, is associated with a decreased risk of cardiac disease, stroke and cognitive decline. Brewer's yeast is known to be a rich source of nutrients; therefore, as expected, beer can contain significant amounts of nutrients, including magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, biotin, and B vitamins. In fact, beer is sometimes referred to as "liquid bread". Some sources maintain that filtered beer loses much of its nutrition. A 2005 Japanese study found that low alcohol beer may possess strong anti-cancer properties. Another study found nonalcoholic beer to mirror the cardiovascular benefits associated with moderate consumption of alcoholic beverages. However, much research suggests that the primary health benefit from alcoholic beverages comes from the alcohol they contain.

It is considered that overeating and lack of muscle tone is the main cause of a beer belly, rather than beer consumption. A recent study, however, found a link between binge drinking and a beer belly. But with most overconsumption it is more a problem of improper exercise and overconsumption of carbohydrates than the product itself.

There is conclusive evidence that heavy and prolonged consumption of alcohol leads to liver disease including cirrhosis and malignancy. Heavy alcohol consumption has also been linked to pancreatitis and gout.

Several diet books quote beer as having the same glycemic index as maltose, a very high (and therefore undesirable) 110. Critics rejoin that beer consists mostly of water, hop oils and only trace amounts of sugars, including maltose.

I think I heard somewhere, 2 glasses of beer a day, for men, and I dunno for women, is good.

No comments: