Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
L-I'm a straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 52) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Friday, October 29, 2021

Books

 I've got plenty to keep me busy

Email, backlog of almost 300 (argh).   

About halfway through Infinite Jest, David Foster Wallace.  Others by DFW: The Broom of the System; Oblivion; Girl With Curious Hair; Consider the Lobster; The Pale King; A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again; Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.  

All of Thomas Pynchon:  Gravity's Rainbow; Inherent Vice; V. ; The Crying of Lot 49; Slow Learner; Vineland; Mason and Dixon; Against the Day; Bleeding Edge.

2 books of trivia, 9 trivia sets, and the online J! Archive (Jeopardy);  12 masd books (martial arts, self-defense); A collection of joke books (15);  3 reference books:  Chamber's Dictionary, Atlas, NYT General Encyclopedia of Knowledge;  A book of 10,001 songs (I use in conjunction with my Amazon Echo, and music subscription);  6 books from the Best American series (essays, non-required reading, travel writing); And an old KP (Kaiser Permanente) health wise handbook.   Some books about dogs (6).

I have 3 "books of books" (Bloom's canon, 1001 books you must read before you die, 501 must read books).   I want to read the Hugo award winners, and other awards, like Newbery, or Bill Gates' recommendations.   I like authors like Lev Grossman, Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, and want to read all of their stuff.  Online stuff like Ted videos, Joe Frank radio shows, a dog-training Masterclass, and YouTube (ridiculousness, magic, parkour, masd, occasional Catholic Mass) all are there, "waiting patiently for me."   

In addition to News (kindle NYT and Economist, and 1440 (email), and Echo's (audio) 'flash briefing.'  I like to read the Today in History (on Wikipedia, Brittanica, Book of Days, and DK History channel book).

No dogs, this weekend.  But always busy.   Busy, busy!  Early to bed, early to rise.

I bought candy (almond kisses, twix, butterfinger) ; put my address on the Nextdoor treat map; and have a skeleton tie, from my dad; a Mexican-style skull (I've been trying to shoot nerf darts into the eyes); and creepy music (like 'goodbye horses') I can play, but the sound doesn't reach the door very well, from my room.  HH, Boyz n' Ghouls!  My cousins usually have fun costumes, the pics of which are anticipated every year, and my 2 nephews are race car drivers (Mario and Luigi), and astronaut/cat;  my friends Sara and Pierre and their 2 kids were all exposed to covid, so they're quarantined, and can't trick-or-treat this year :-(.    Augie was going to be a skeleton.  Hugo just took some baby steps.  I don't have a costume, other than some devil horns and a somewhat creepy cirque du soleil mask I found.  I also have a black Liquid Death T-shirt, and a newsboy hat someone said reminds them of AC/DC.  My cousins are a knight, a sorceress, a scarlet dragon, and pegasus.  I also know someone going as a mushroom.  My landlord's parents don't approve of jack-o-lanterns, I think.   Ha.  Weird world.

Candace and John say,  'and' candy brands:  ben and jerry's.  M and M's.  good and plenty.  mike and ike.   now and later.

Post script, postscript:  Not even one trick-or-treater, this year.   I sat on my porch for 3 hours.  I read my kindle, which is ideal, in the dark.  I listened to a little halloween theme music on headphones on my portable fm radio, tuned to kalx.  Maybe because it's Sunday, with school tomorrow.  They should make it always on a Saturday or something.  Well, more candy for me.  The only Halloween thing that happened was I swatted a spider on my chest.  And I gave candy to a roommate.  

No comments: