Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
Ladies- I'm a single, straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 51) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Divine etymology


'Divine' etymology, that is

From Old French devin, from Latin dīvīnus, from divus (“‘god’”).

Divus
Those who were deified were referred to with the word divus (Latin, noun, for "the divine/deified one"; feminine diva, plural divi/divae) before their names. Thus, Claudius was called divus Claudius. This word is often rendered as 'god' (i.e., "Claudius the god") but that is something of an over-translation, as Latin had a separate and distinct word for gods (deus). A more accurate translation might be 'divine' (i.e., "the divine Claudius") or 'deified', a somewhat softer formulation that Roman intellectuals could comfortably understand as metaphorical.
As time passed, this honour became more and more automatically associated with dead emperors, to the extent that by the time of the Dominate, it might just as well be understood as meaning "deceased". The fact that 'divus' had lost much of whatever truly religious meaning it had is made clear by the fact that it was used with names of early Christian emperors after their deaths, even after Constantine had technically abolished the practice of deification of emperors. "Divus Constantinus", therefore meant simply "the late Constantinus".

I think of divine in terms of vine and branches and Jesse tree and D,I which is the 4th and 9th letters, and my name Jesse Teshara, which in simple numerology is 4,9. I live in wine country, in Napa county, and my wife worked at Wildhurst, in Lake County. Wildhurst was the name of a street I lived on in Sacramento, in addition to the winery, so it's all pretty weird. I grew up in S.F., with the 49ers, and my wife worked at 49er video in Davis, and grew up off of hwy. 49 in Auburn, and 4+9 is 13, which for me, is lucky enough :-) My dad is big on Prop. 13, as an educator. I also think of Nirvana's Dive in me, and the album Dive.

The etymology of 'mystery', by the way, doesn't take the mystery out of it. It's "From Middle English mysterie < class="mw-redirect" title="Mysterium Fidei (Encyclical)" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysterium_Fidei_(Encyclical)">Mysterium Fidei (Encyclical) , Encyclical letter of Pope Paul VI on the Eucharist
Mysterium fidei (Latin phrase), Latin phrase meaning "mystery of faith"

The 1965 Encyclical, to emphasize the centrality of the Eucharist in the Church, the Pope echoed the words of St. Ignatius of Antioch, referring to the Blessed Sacrament the "medicine of immortality."

The Blood of Christ will make you IMMORTAL! (Anti-?) Muahahahahah. Moi?
Enough of this vampire shit, everybody, allright??

No comments: