Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
L-I'm a straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 52) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

The UN

The UN, says former ambassador Bolton, has over 9,000 mandates. I would like to know what they are, and what the pricetag for each one is.

While looking for a mandate list, which I could not find, not even on Wikipedia, I found this list of current issue categories the UN is working on:

Africa Ageing Agriculture AIDS Atomic Energy
Children Climate Change Culture
Decolonization Demining Development Cooperation Persons with Disabilities Disarmament Drugs & Crime
Education Elections Energy Environment
Family Food
Governance
Health Human Rights Human Settlements Humanitarian and Disaster Relief Assistance Indigenous People Information Communications Technology Intellectual Property International Finance Iraq
Labour International Law Oceans and the Law of the Sea Least Developed Countries
The Millennium UN General Assembly- The Goals -
Question of Palestine Peace & Security Population
Refugees
Science and Technology Social Development Outer Space Statistics Sustainable Development
Terrorism Trade & Development
Volunteerism
Water Women
Youth
I could not find any minimal or ideal funding requirements listed.

What I did find:
Mm, a bottle of frosty MDG

"The eight Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) – which range from halving extreme poverty to halting the spread of HIV/AIDS and providing universal primary education, all by the target date of 2015 – form a blueprint agreed to by all the world’s countries and all the world’s leading development institutions. They have galvanized unprecedented efforts to meet the needs of the world’s poorest." That's 8 years, everyone. (we're almost halfway through the first)

These 8 goals are:
1. eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
2. achieve universal primary education
3. promote gender equality, and empower women
4. reduce child mortality
5. improve maternal health
6. combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases
7. ensure environmental sustainability
8. develop a global partnership for development

The secretary general says this will take sustained effort until the deadline, and requires development aid double (from x to y).

I don't know what the UN says x and y are, but Bjorn Lomborg quoted 150B/yr as 2-3x the global development aid amount, which would solve 1/2 of "all major problems" in the world, which I suppose is UN ballpark. Why don't we give FAR more than enough, collectively? hep! hep!

No comments: