Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
L-I'm a straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 52) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Monday, April 7, 2008

A call to action

My letter to TED

The world has 6.7B people, and 47(?)T dollars. I'm a stubborn idealist who still thinks all problems can be solved. The monetary figure could be one dollar or 100T, it doesn't matter: if we all worked toward global well-being, we'd all be happy, I believe. Global happiness is the objective.

Making others happy makes me happy. I'm not the only one. Come on people, now, smile on your brother.. They say happiness is a warm gun, mama. Well, rage against the machine can also be called for, but use a paintball gun, or box, or find a healthy outlet for your (justified) anger and aggression. Seriously, we live in a world where the richest man has 48B dollars and another might be poor, in every respect: penniless and homeless and raped and tortured, if not killed, like maybe a refugee in Darfur or a slave in Mali that sells for $40. Not to mention those that suicide out of despair. Action, not apathy, is necessary. Life should be enjoyable.

I would like to hear Bjorn discuss Lester Brown's Plan B3.0 (which estimates the cost of "saving the world" at..) Where do I go to see the calculus behind his decisions? Specifically, how much would it cost to solve ALL the world's problems (or core ones, at least)?

I would add two points to his presentation: priorities should be ranked by human suffering (not just effectiveness/bang for buck), and problems should be solved in the order that will help solve other problems (to create a snowball effect).

Plan B(maybe it's 2.0) is online. I think we shouldn't just rely on Bill Gates, for example, or governments to solve our problems, although they can certainly be a (big) part. 1) We need a movement that focuses people's creative energies and money and time to solving pastma problems (pain agony suffering torment misery anguish), with the realization that helping and sharing is a selfish act: it pays greater rewards/dividends than you lose (if you're basic needs are met). 2) Just do it. Solve a problem. Buy a micro-loan. Donate an aqua-trike or malaria net. Go to a developing country. Help create spirulina production. Build a sandfilter. Etc. Recruit others. Write letters. 3) Maybe a tax, higher for richer, none for those at poverty line, that feeds a fund to do good, globally.

I'll add this: Maybe it's time for a new category of government. There is local, state, and federal. We live in a global economy, or as Hillary said, a "global village." Perhaps, if not exactly a global government, we should, as a planet, all pay a well-structured tax to solve core global problems, perhaps paid to each of our respective countries' governments, if not the UN. Those who need help wouldn't have to pay, but everyone else would pay according to their ability, i.e. a rising percentage with rising wealth.

Am I rediscovering the wheel? This is basically from each according to his ability, to each according to his need, except I'm defining the need as basic needs, not a need for a yacht or mansion or maserati or even cable tv. Then again, maybe we shouldn't force charity. Also, charity may make people dependent. We, as a human community, have to solve the problems of suffering on our planet. That's all I'm saying.

We have more than enough money. Humans only need x water, x food, and shelter. Other than that, they can get companionship, love, friendship and exercise/fitness all for free. Libraries are free. A car doesn't have to be a necessity, it can be a luxury. In any case, they can be shared and carpooled. Public transportation could be fun, not a dismal silent chore. What's wrong with talking to people? WAKE UP!

No comments: