Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
L-I'm a straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 52) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Thursday, October 18, 2018

Decision Process

Should I stay or Should I go, now?

Hi. Been awhile. How are you? How goes? Whatcha been up to? What's new? What's the haps? What up, dawg? My friends in Portland have hired an architect to remodel their basement, to a den and a living quarters, which I plan on moving to, in Spring or later (from my current digs in Berkeley). Portland is 625 miles away. I pay $740 now, but will pay only $400, in Portland. The quarters will be bigger, not just cheaper. And Sara, Pierre, and Augie have been close friends of mine, for awhile. They're like family; my best friends, really. We went to Belize (Key Caulker) and Mexico (Oaxaca) together, in fact. I've been to Portland, staying with them for a week, and surveyed (2 of) the public libraries, a nearby gym, and of course Reed college. We went to the zoo, and meandered through a street faire, and I tried a few restaurants and cafes (coffee, pizza, donuts, burger, fruit vendor, waffles, pie). I have until November to make the final decision to move, however, so I've been compiling my pros and cons of each location. This is what I've got, so far.

Berkeley, pro
Cal (library, students, kalx radio), the GTU (library, very relaxing), Ymca (gym, discounted membership, pool), free yoga at yttp (yoga to the people), family (mom and dad in SF, nephews -ben and declan- and bro and Liz, aunts -rose marie and vicki-, and cousins), my dogs I walk and their owners (Julie and Sam and Miette -rover and taco-, Teresa and Johnny and Electra -junie and giffen, the cat-, Marlen and Austin -kaleb-), and of course the money for walking and sitting for them... It's cash, and good exercise, to boot (although it's getting a bit routine). I have a bart discount pass. Link+ at the libraries gives me access to almost anything I could possibly want to read. I've been here since December 2014, and like my room, with it's mirror wall, free wifi, and friendly roommates, including Michael, who appreciates my room and company in what he calls a “salon,” making use of my alexa, trivia cards, economist magazine subscription, books, and futon. My rent is a good deal, especially in light of current bay area housing costs. My roommates mostly speak Spanish, which I can speak, but not at a very high level (I took 4 years of hs, minored at UCD, but that was 25 years ago). Kaiser is nearby, as is MHA (mental health advocates), and the SSA office. I have the option to earn much more from Wag! (as a wagwalker, with the app on my phone). Free food. Excellent weather. Comfort. Ike's, mountain mike's, sushi secrets, bfc (free clinic), los pericos (pastor tacos). Gnc, papajohns. All my stuff n shit.

Portland, pro
340 extra cash per month (over 4 thousand dollars per year), new and exciting -a change, variety, stimulating; close to good , long-time, friends. Augie and I enjoy each other. KP and Wag are there, too. Bigger quarters, gym, Reed, a museum, zoo, train museums, lots of parks, libraries, and nice weather. Quirky people. Safer, maybe. Parents will visit. I can bus or train if I like, not just fly. Greg will help out with visits back to bay area. Facetime? A big place to explore. Eager for change. Fun place, new friends. Better me!?

Bkly, con
homeless / sketchy element. Gunshots, scary Bart. Getting routine. Not using gym, yoga.  Annoying people.  Kaleb is a 40m bike ride away.  Not living up to my own expectations (etb, etr). BB, masd, swim, yoga, book/day, etc. Time for a change.   Earthquake threat.

Portland, con
not as nice weather. Rain, snow. Far from family. Possibly couldn't move back (pricey bay area). Less Ben. Might need to work, there. Rut? Could I move out? More -or less- social? Traffic.

Questions: ymca? Pool? Cost of amtrak, greyhound. Pro cuddler? Masd for Reed? $ salon? Churches? Dental... babysitting. Inheritance. Light / air, downstairs. Blog!? (psychesphere!) healthier?

No comments: