Français/French Deutsch/German Italiano/Italian Português/Portuguese Español/Spanish 日本語/Japanese 한국어/Korean 中文(简体)/Chinese Simplified

Welcome!

I, God, welcome you to my blog!

The good book says only God is good, so it seems to me somebody needs to step up.

I hope you enjoy reading this, the Jesse Journal, as much as I have enjoyed writing it. Please feel free to subscribe, write me an email, request that I write about any particular topic you may want my perspective on, send a prayer, click on the charity link, or donate money to my bicycle fund! Have fun!

Your pal, Jess
L-I'm a straight, virgo/boar INTJ (age 52) who enjoys books, getting out into nature, music, and daily exercise.

(my email is JesseGod@live.com)

F.Y.I. There are about 2200 posts..

Here's a quote from Fyodor Dostoevsky to start things off right: Love the animals, love the plants, love everything. If you love everything, you will perceive the divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. And you will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The economist says to save nature, y'all

"Common birds are in decline across the world. Almost one in four species of mammals is in danger of extinction. If current trends continue until 2050, fisheries will be exhausted. As it is, deforestation costs the world more each year than the current financial crisis has cost in total, one economist argued."

I think we should play it safe, when it comes to nature, because we don't understand how much we depend on it, entirely. Conservationism shouldn't be a liberal or conservative issue. Fresh air and clean water and respecting the critters, including future food and medicine and who knows what else, is an absolute necessity, unless you really think that because meat tastes good that makes you a mean s.o.b. who doesn't care about animals, including humans. Which I don't. And I'm God.

Anyway, the economist goes on to say:
"The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which is studying global warming for the UN, said 20-30% of species could die out if global average temperatures rise by more than 2°C or so. What does the loss of other species cost humans?"

“Ecosystem services”: natural processes that benefit people, such as the pollination of crops, the purification of water in wetlands and the sequestration of carbon in soil and forests, have value. A study released this year said the world was losing $68 billion in ecosystem services each year because of damage to nature." (I bet it's actually more; possibly in terms of future generations)

"A virtuous circle might happen if we take action (write your congressman): climate change could be slowed, biodiversity saved and poverty alleviated if forests were included in carbon markets. Deforestation is responsible for so many emissions that allowing countries to claim carbon credits for reducing the pace at which they cut down their forests could cut the cost of halving global carbon emissions from 1990 levels by 2030 by 50%. And, in the process, deforestation rates would be reduced by 75% by 2030. But this would cost the rich world money: $4 billion over the next five years, and a further $11-19 billion a year by 2020.

I believe it's worth it. Let's Do it.
We're waging war on nature. It could fight back, like in The Happening (Sara and I just saw it). In any case, we could get bit by our own pigheaded headlong rush into oblivion. Sorry, pigs. We might even be inadvertently waging war on ourselves. To continue my talking to myself, yeah, because we're a part of the ecosystem. We tweak it and manipulate for our benefit -and also our detriment. Letting humans, a part of nature, work through regulating nature naturally might not be the best thing for Nature, us included, lol.

No comments: